Well since the last time I’ve been on a 2 week holiday to Portugal with my family and very nice it was too 🙂
Since I got back I’ve been making some real progress in my preparations:
- I bought a new rear wheel for my tourer from http://www.kbcycles.com/
- I’ve bought a pair of Gatorskins to replace my Schwalbe Marathon pluses because they are half the weight* of my current tyres and “run really well” according to reviews.
- I’ve booked the remainder of my holiday year in half day slots so I can get some serious weekly mileages in without impacting on the family too much. So it’s basically Tuesday and Thursday afternoon off and full day ride on the Sunday.
- I’ve booked 1st class rail travel Newcastle to Penzance on Cross Country trains for a bargain £58.50 thanks to a very nice lady in Newcastle Central Station booking office.
- I’ve booked my 1st night’s accommodation at Land’s End in a new hostel at a very reasonable rate – I’ll put a link to their website when the website is up and running.
- I’ve booked 2nd night’s accommodation at http://www.upcotthouse.com/ which is 5 mins walk outside Okehampton and a very nice looking house although I don’t like the sound of their address Upcott HILL!!!
- I had real concerns about my first day’s route which took in the A30 which I believe is a scary road to ride. Thanks to a reply on a touring forum from a Cornish cyclist he provided me with a safer albeit longer route. day 1 mileage has gone from 94 miles to 105 miles but still with the same amount of climbs 😦
- Day 3 I’m stopping at an ex-colleagues house in Bristol – Thanks to Chris Harvey for the kind offer.
- On Saturday 25th June I’m doing the 107 mile http://www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk/ which I’ll be doing on my Madone.
- I’ve also made the decision that I may not get accommodation on the day as it’s August so as a last resort I’m taking a frind’s (John Bell) Hunka bivvy bag http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16312&category_id=253 and may end up sleeping rough – I reiterate that this is after all other options have failed.
- My netbook which I’ll be taking a along to complete my blog enroute now has all the software installed that I’ll need so I can upload routes from my Garmin on a daily basis and and any photos I’ve taken during the day.
- I’m also experimenting with how little kit I can take to see if I can ditch my panniers and use a drybag (again borrowed from John Bell).
- I may also juggle mileages for some of the Scottish Days s I may have been a bit ambitious.
- Martin Thomas was going to join me for one of my days but has now gone and booked a holiday:-( Jed Woodhouse is still keen to join me on a day or 2.
- I have my ‘list’ of kit to take* which grows 😦
- Andrew Charlton created my new Blog header image – thanks again
How much easier would this have been if I’d been doing it supported??
* I appear to be weighing everything now and trying to shave as many grams as possible